Saturday, June 1, 2013

how to beat the heat at home

What to do when it is almost 90 outside and who knows how much hotter inside my apartment?

Today I made my first ever green smoothie. My apartment can get way too hot in the summer - one of the downsides of getting natural light and being on the top floor. Plus, it just doesn't cool down that much in the city at night. I didn't feel like cooking and further heating up the apartment, so I thought I would try out the handy 1 portion blender that a friend of mine lent me.


It's pretty basic - 2 handfuls of spinach (including stems), 1/2 gala apple, 1/4 avocado and 1/2 cup cold water. It's sort of chewy..but I like that. I never really was a big fan of juicing..or anything pureed..I like my food to have texture. Yeah, it DOES taste like spinach, but I like spinach and I usually cook other types of greens. I looked at a lot of recipes online, and so many seem overly sweet. I don't see this as a daily thing for me, but a good snack/light meal on a really hot day. Next time I will think about adding hemp seeds or maybe walnuts to turn it into more of a meal.

I am sipping (and chewing) my smoothie as I write this..feeling cooler already.

And this is cheering me up, since my other cooling off strategy  - taking an oil bath- somehow led me to quite randomly (so it seemed) pull? a muscle in my side/mid back in the shower. Grrr. It is sort of in the area that I injured a while back. I think I am cycling through all the muscle groups there. So once again, I will postpone lugging my laundry to the laundromat.






No comments:

Post a Comment